Senior Photonics Engineer
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2023
Advanced Navigation is one of the world’s most ambitious innovators in AI robotics and navigation technology across land, air, sea and space. While our main headquarters are in Sydney, we have multiple research facilities in Australia and sales offices around the world. Since 2011, the company has experienced great success and has progressed into several deep, new technologies. Our fields of expertise include underwater sonar, GNSS, radio frequency systems, inertial sensors, robotics, quantum sensors and photonics.
Today, Advanced Navigation is a supplier to some of the world's largest companies, including Airbus, Boeing, Google, Tesla, Apple, and General Motors. We are the catalyst of the autonomy revolution and our technology can be seen in exciting applications across the globe.
Hydrus, our revolutionary underwater robot will help restore oceans to a flourishing state. You will find our navigation systems in the autonomous Indy race cars and thousands of Plus AI autonomous trucks. We help farmers adopt autonomous farming equipment and assist in various fields of research. Switching to software, our cloud-based drone management platform helps patrol beaches for emergency rescues and shark tracking. Off-planet, we will deliver a navigation system for the next NASA moon landing. The applications of our technologies are quite limitless - where there is autonomy, you will find Advanced Navigation.
Overview of Position
Our photonics engineering team is actively focused on building photonics sensors that exploit the combination of laser interferometry, electro-optics, and high-performance signal processing for Advanced Navigation’s next-generation navigation products. As our Senior Photonics Engineer, you will participate in all phases of the photonics development life-cycle. This is a senior hands-on role with direct responsibility for the creation and delivery of high-quality photonic systems from development to production environments.
- Translate technical project requirements into functional photonic architectures
- Source and maintain tools and systems required to design and deliver photonics parts and building blocks
- Design, develop, and implement photonic architectures based on laser interferometry
- Collaborate with software team to integrate software and photonics hardware via electro-optic interfaces
- Model and simulate photonic and optical systems using Matlab, Python, Synopsys and/or Lumerical
- Design, packaging and characterisation of integrated photonics
- Prototype future photonic concepts and designs for R&D
- Coordinate testing of integrated hardware and software systems
- Design and implement hardware-in-loop testing, characterization and qualification processes for photonics systems
- Collaborate with other stakeholders and teams in establishing standards of quality and resolution of failures and defects
- Perform research to come up with solutions to novel challenging problems and requirements
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Bachelor of engineering or physics (PhD in Engineering or Physics will be highly regarded)
- Significant experience working with laser interferometry for precision metrology
- Experience working with electro-optic systems including Lithium Niobate electro-optic modulators and InGaAs photodetectors
- Experience with fiber optic technologies and processes (e.g., fusion splicing)
- Experience designing, assembling, and characterising optical systems
- Experience designing and characterising integrated photonics (photonic chip packaging experience will be highly regarded)
- Experience with standard test and measurement equipment (e.g., oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, power meters, polarimeters, waveform generators)
- Good lab etiquette in a photonics settings
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong organisational skills, attention to detail and technical judgement.
- Project management and time management skills are highly desirable
- Experience processing and analysing data produced by a laser interferometer
- Knowledge around state-estimation and statistical optics is highly desirable
- Be highly motivated with an energetic, responsive and decisive disposition
- Strong knowledge of WHS practices, especially laser eye safety
- Proven high standard of attention to detail, time management and “follow-through”
- The successful candidate will have or be able to obtain an Australian Security Clearance to Baseline Level or above
What are some of the benefits you will have access to?
You'll have access to industry-leading products with diverse applications within some of the most interesting and exciting projects worldwide. We’re growing a team of inspired, smart, and driven individuals from all sorts of backgrounds. With great opportunities for growth and variety, we strive to help each employee carve out the path that’s right for them.
Apart from the above you will be doing your life's best work in a large, fun office in central Sydney close to all public transportation, with coffee and breakfast provided, to keep you going throughout the day.
See more open positions at Advanced Navigation
Something looks off?