Operations onboarding and fincrime prevention analyst
Hi, we’re Griffin! We’re the bank for companies who want to build and launch financial products.
We're rapidly heading towards a future where most of us access financial services through technology companies rather than high street banks. All sorts of companies are now embedding financial products into their apps and user journeys so that their customers can seamlessly make payments, manage expenses, take out loans, save, invest, and do more.
The problem is that companies are still dependent on legacy banking infrastructure if they want to offer regulated financial products. They need to either partner directly with an (slow-moving, risk-averse) incumbent bank and/or stitch together middleware from various Banking as a Service (BaaS) providers. This process is slow, expensive, and complex and makes it very hard for companies to get new financial products off the ground.
At Griffin, we want to change this.
We want to make it easy for companies to bring finance to their customers at the point of greatest relevance. So, we built a bank.
But not just any bank! Griffin is a technology platform and a bank: fully regulated, API-first, developer-centric, and purpose-built to serve innovative fintechs and brands who want to build and embed financial products.
Our culture is our most important asset, and one of the ways we safeguard it is by being extremely intentional about hiring the right people. We won't hire people who don’t seem like a strong fit for our core values, even if they're otherwise extremely qualified.
We also believe that smart, motivated, conscientious people thrive in high-trust, high-autonomy environments. That’s why we’re transparent by default, and we encourage open discussion and challenge across all levels of the organisation. We’re also remote-first, asynchronous, and fully flexible - because you're the expert on how and when you do your best work.
The Operations team
The Operations team at Griffin is the mindful engine room, driving our success. We strive to bring joy to our customers, both internal and external, through systems that just work.
There are three core elements to operations at Griffin: banking operations; operational resilience; and customer success. Across all teams, we place significant emphasis on compassion, ownership and curiosity. You will be empowered to make meaningful decisions and supported to make sure we collectively get those decisions right.
As one of the first members of the banking operations team, you’ll be shaping and delivering exceptional payments and fincrime prevention services. You'll be helping us build and run a truly resilient bank that centres around bringing value to our customers.
Who are you
The ideal candidate is driven by a deep sense of ownership, striving to create and run a class-leading onboarding experience for our customers. As a responsible driver of operational excellence, you’re a pragmatic owner who makes things happen. In your role, you’ll be given the freedom and support to explore a better way to onboard our customers. Successful candidates will have a proactive and curious nature, consistently challenging us to improve a little every day, shaping intelligent operations for the future.
You will have most of the following
- Experience working in a hands-on fincrime prevention role, specifically onboarding and ongoing case management
- Comfort talking to customers, clearly communicating what you need from them and how Griffin will support them
- Demonstrable experience of solving financial crime cases in a timely and scalable manner
- Empathy - a strong desire to ensure genuine, compassionate support for our customers
- Clear and concise written communication skills
- Good judgement - you strike a good balance between experimentation and tried-and-tested solutions
- Flexible and supportive approach
We’re hybrid-remote, and most of your colleagues will not share an office with you on a day-to-day basis. This means you should also have:
- A high degree of comfort adopting new software tools for document drafting, collaboration and communication.
- A love of writing - we have a major amount of written documentation that you will be contributing to, and we place a high degree of importance on clarity and readability (you can find out more here about how we write)
What will you be doing here?
You will report to the Fincrime Prevention Associate and work closely with the broader operations teams to ensure that our customers are onboarded without a hitch and managed on an ongoing basis. We believe passionately in eliminating unnecessary manual effort. You will be encouraged and supported to automate any process where human intervention does not give a better result.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Helping new customers get started, making sure they onboard and pass verification checks quickly, while following Griffin's rules to prevent financial crime
- Collecting, reviewing, and managing documents. You'll be the main contact for customer cases and ensure we follow data protection and reporting rules
- Keeping track of things - you'll assist in creating reports for the team and use them to make our onboarding process and fincrime prevention measures better
- Supporting ongoing checks on customer risks, money laundering and fraud
- Checking alerts and looking for transactions that don't fit our risk appetite. You'll also investigate suspicious activity and report it to the National Crime Agency
- Using your curiosity to help the team spot trends in financial crime and develop solutions
- Making sure our work is top-notch by through quality checks
- Embracing your explorer spirit - you will challenge the way we do business today and help to implement genuine improvements to our operations.
Nice to haves
We’d be thrilled if you also have experience in other areas of banking operations, from payment handling and investigation to controls and data analysis. Experience delivering projects or functional change would be a bonus, but we’re equally happy to support you as you hone these skills here.
What can we offer you?
We are an early stage startup and we're working hard to expand our benefits package. We're planning to add to this list in the future.
- 25 days off a year + bank holidays
- Flexible, remote-friendly working - including supporting home office setup
- Tax-advantaged stock options under HMRC's Company Share Option Plan (CSOP)
- Auto-enrolment into company pension scheme
- Enhanced parental leave with up to 6 months at full pay
- Private medical insurance and life insurance (provided by Vitality and AIG respectively)
How do I apply?
Are we your next move? Apply via the link below, if there's a match our Talent team will reach out to schedule an initial conversation and talk you through our interview process in detail.
N.B: We have a small London office in Moorgate, and we are comfortable hiring people to work from anywhere in the UK. About half of the company is based within occasional commuting distance of London, the other half is full-time remote.
Our goal is for Griffin to proportionally represent the diversity of the working population in society. We’re working to ensure that Griffin is a supportive, empowering and inclusive environment for every member of our team — whatever your combination of race, ethnicity, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical ability, nationality, neurodiversity, and religious beliefs. If you’re part of a group that is under-represented in fintech, we’d love to hear from you
Griffin Bank Ltd request that recruitment agencies do not speculatively submit CVs to any employee or associate of our company unless explicitly asked to do so by a member of our Talent team.
Any CVs sent to any member of our team on a speculative basis will not be recognised and we will not accept liability for any fee or commission should we subsequently employ a candidate who applied to us directly or was introduced by an instructed agency that may also have been submitted speculatively by an uninstructed agency.