Senior Software Engineer
At Shelf Engine, our mission is to reduce food waste through automation. We harness the power of AI to provide real-time, intelligent forecasting and fully automated ordering to food retailers across the United States. We’re able to drastically reduce the amount of food waste generated while simultaneously maximizing sales and expanding margins for grocers—a triple win for suppliers and retailers, consumers, and the environment.
Shelf Engine is searching for a talented Senior Software Engineer to join our team. In this role, you will work with multiple teams across functions to design a system that allows us to scale up our customer base while maintaining an ability to quickly engineer and deploy new features. The system controls the scheduling and forecasting of thousands of daily food orders for grocery stores across the US. Our users are primarily internal operational and technical team members who oversee the system. The goal is to help Shelf Engine develop solutions across broad areas, from mobile and desktop UX for our end users, to automated integration with other customer data systems, to our core storage systems and business logic. You’ll accomplish this by flexing your skill-set, working across the technology stack and the product process.
This position is based in Seattle, WA or remote.
As a Senior Software Engineer at Shelf Engine, you will:
- Write scalable/high-performance code on both the frontend and backend, understanding complex technical areas along the way
- Build robust code, and always be considering how to make the system more observable
- Create software features that are robust, reliable, and user friendly for internal teams, working directly with the internal users
- Run the full software development lifecycle - problem definition, design, development, testing, demoing, and supporting production use of the features you own
- Be able to balance immediate business objectives against long-term architectural vision
- Collaborate with fellow engineers, management, and the product management to prioritize and design work
- Mentor other members of the team in areas you have experience, whether junior or not!
What we are looking for in a candidate:
- You embrace our company principles: make the first move, make better decisions, be furiously curious, commit and deliver, have empathy, invent solutions, be authentic
- 4+ years of production level engineering experience
- Experience using modern object-oriented languages, cloud services, and relational databases.
- Experience with C# and ASP.NET Core
- Experience with Angular front end web framework
- Strong analytical and quantitative problem solving ability
- You have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience
- You are authorized to work in the U.S. for any employer
Some additional nice to have skills and experience:
- Experience building machine learning or data science systems that are used in live production systems
- Experience with common data systems tools and services such as Airflow, Faktory, FiveTran, Snowflake
- Experience with python
- Experience in distributed systems
- Experience in the business domains of logistics, warehousing, or the food (grocery, etc.) industry
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Experience with SQL Server, Postgres, ingestion/ETL, or data engineering
- Experience with Azure
What Shelf Engine offers you:
- A unique opportunity to join a sustainability startup at a small size, making a meaningful impact on the team as well as the environment
- An inclusive work environment that emphasizes each team member’s personal and professional growth
- Competitive salary in the range of $140,000 to $170,000 depending on skills and experience
- Pre-IPO equity with a four-year vesting schedule
- PTO that is unlimited and self-managed for full time employees
- 100% employer-paid premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees, and 50% covered for eligible dependents
- Coverage for life insurance, short- and long-term disability, and access to a robust Employee Assistance Program
- Optional employee contribution of pre-tax dollars to medical and dependent care FSA accounts
- 401k plan through Guideline to contribute to your financial future
- Seattle only: Company-paid ORCA transit card
At Shelf Engine, you will join a team of driven, passionate, and caring people hungry to make change in an untapped industry. We’re not only solving complex technical problems at scale but also tackling key initiatives with significant environmental impacts. Our team is determined to disrupt a massive industry and leave behind a positive legacy for generations to come.
Shelf Engine is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Something looks off?