BioAIM - Director of AI for Large Molecule Research
Director of AI for Large Molecule Research
We are an innovative global healthcare company, driven by one purpose: chasing the miracles of science to improve people’s lives. Our team, across some 100 countries, is dedicated to transforming the practice of medicine by working to turn the impossible into the possible. We provide potentially life-changing treatment options and life-saving vaccine protection to millions of people globally, while putting sustainability and social responsibility at the center of our ambitions.
Sanofi has recently embarked on a vast and ambitious digital transformation program. A cornerstone of this roadmap is the acceleration of its data transformation and of the adoption of artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) solutions to accelerate R&D, manufacturing and commercial performance, and bring better drugs and vaccines to patients faster, to improve health and save lives.
In alignment to our digital transformation, we have launched a new major strategic initiative in 2023: the Biologics x AI Transformation. This is positioned to be a unique data-driven team, with expertise in AI platforms, data engineering, ML operations, data science, computational biology, strategy, and beyond. We are working as one to identify, design, and scale state-of-the-art AI capabilities targeted to truly transform how we research biologics.
Who You Are
You are a dynamic ML / AI expert with either industry or academic experience in leading a team focused on the development, use and adoption of ML / AI methods for protein design and property predictions and in the modeling and optimization of large molecules. We are looking for people who can use and extend advanced AI /ML methods for various applications, are comfortable with relevant engineering and scaling issues needed for use of this technology in a large company and also understand the biology and the underlying methods and algorithms. In our experience the best candidate for this position are people who are passionate about the use of machine learning and AI to unlock the mysteries of science and change the way biomedical research is performed.
- Lead a team of AI/ML and software engineers to evaluate, develop, extend and apply ML / AI methods to various use cases related to modeling, analysis and design of proteins and large molecules
- Develop, implement, test and refine advanced ML methods for the processing, analysis, modeling integration and visualization of large scale biomedical structure data
- Be in close contact with life and medical sciences researchers to discuss project specifications, needs, data, testing and use of the products being developed
- Work closely with our engineering and data foundation team to align the ability to perform end to end analysis for large molecules
- Work closely with the leading biotechs in the structure prediction space to ensure we are using the most advanced technology
Key Functional Requirements & Qualifications
- PhD or MSc in computer science, machine learning, computational biology or related area with at least 6 years of experience in working on the development of methods for molecular structure predictions, analysis of other biochemical properties, and the study of large molecules
- Experience in the use of ML / AI methods, including deep neural networks and generative AI for protein and large molecule structure analysis
- Technical understanding of the theory and practice of AI / ML methods
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team of data scientists and generate software solutions that are of practical use
- Experience developing deployable code and deploying models in product-focused development under an agile environment
- Comfortable working in cloud and high-performance computing environments (e.g. AWS, GCP, Databricks, Apache Spark)
- Excellent written and verbal communication, business analysis, data visualization and data storytelling skills
- Strong interest in the use of AI in the life and medical sciences to improve patient lives
Visas for those who do not already have the right to work in the UK will be considered on a case by case basis according to business needs and resources.
Pursue progress. Discover extraordinary.
Better is out there. Better medications, better outcomes, better science. But progress doesn’t happen without people – people from different backgrounds, in different locations, doing different roles, all united by one thing: a desire to make miracles happen. So, let’s be those people.
At Sanofi, we provide equal opportunities to all regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or gender identity.
Watch our ALL IN video and check out our Diversity Equity and Inclusion actions at sanofi.com!
We are proud to be a Disability Confident Employer and committed to offering an interview to candidates who request to be considered under the Scheme and meet the minimum requirements required for this role.
If you consider yourself to have a disability and would like to ask for adjustments to be made at interviews, please email diversity.recruitmentUKIE@sanofi.com so we can make arrangements for you.
At Sanofi diversity and inclusion is foundational to how we operate and embedded in our Core Values. We recognize to truly tap into the richness diversity brings we must lead with inclusion and have a workplace where those differences can thrive and be leveraged to empower the lives of our colleagues, patients and customers. We respect and celebrate the diversity of our people, their backgrounds and experiences and provide equal opportunity for all.