Lead Data Scientist
About the Digital GBUs
We are an innovative global healthcare company, driven by one purpose: we chase the miracles of science to improve people’s lives. Our team, across some 100 countries, is dedicated to transforming the practice of medicine by working to turn the impossible into the possible. We provide potentially life-changing treatment options and life-saving vaccine protection to millions of people globally, while putting sustainability and social responsibility at the center of our ambitions.
Sanofi’s Digital organization’s mission is to transform Sanofi into a data-first and AI-first organization by empowering everyone with good data. Through custom-developed AI products built on world-class data foundations and platforms, the team builds value and unique competitive advantage that scales across our markets, R&D, and manufacturing sites. The team is located in major hubs in Paris, Lyon, Barcelona, Cambridge, Bridgewater, and most recently, Toronto, with the aim of opening a new office in Hyderabad. Join a dynamic, fast-paced, and talented team, with world-class mentorship, using AI to chase the miracle of science.
In this role, you will develop globally scalable AI solutions that are strategically prioritized by the Sanofi commercial area across Global Business Units (General Medicine, Vaccines, and Specialty Care) for the betterment of our global patients and customers. Examples of AI projects include but are not limited to, Omnichannel Engagement, Predicting Next Best Action, Marketing Mix Model, and Smart AI Alerts.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Apply data science expertise in machine learning, deep learning, statistics, text-mining/NLP, forecasting, and optimization to multiple analytics projects
- Build models, algorithms, simulations, and experiments by writing highly optimized code and using state-of-the-art machine learning technologies
- Work on the full spectrum of activities, from conducting ML experiments to delivering production-ready models
- Use data analysis, visualization, storytelling, and data technologies to scope, define and deliver AI-based data products
- Work closely with product owners, developers, engineers, and MLOps to deliver AI/ML solutions
- Adhere to and promote best practices and standards for data science process (including documentation) and code developments
- Remains up to date with industry practices and emerging technologies such as generative AI and tests creative ways of offering AI solutions to enhance existing solutions
- Mentor and coach junior data scientists and interns
Key Functional Requirements and Qualifications:
- Hands-on AI/ML modeling experience of complex datasets combined with a strong understanding of the theoretical foundations of AI/ML.
- Expertise within most of the following areas: supervised learning, unsupervised learning, deep learning, reinforcement learning, federated learning, time series forecasting, Bayesian statistics, optimization
- Experience creating and deploying code libraries using functions, and classes in Python in AI product-focused development in an agile environment
- Comfortable working in cloud and high-performance computing environments (e.g. AWS, GCP, Databricks, Apache Spark)
- Experience in production-ready software development
- Experience in communicating with business, expressing important DS concepts in a non-technical way, interpreting feedback from business
- Experience in leading data science projects and working closely with junior data scientists and data analysts
- Identify and manage blockers, risks, and interdependencies across Agile teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication, business analysis, data visualization, and data storytelling skills
- Nice to have experience in life sciences and healthcare and experience in a complex global organization
- A demonstrated ability to work and collaborate in a team environment
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, constantly evolving environment and to manage multiple priorities
Key Technical requirements and qualifications:
- Ph.D. in computer science, mathematics, physics, statistics, or a related quantitative discipline with strong coding skills with 3+ years of analytical experience, OR Master’s Degree in a relevant domain with 6+ years of analytical experience
- Expertise with core data science languages (predominantly with Python, and nice to have R & Scala), experience working with Snowflake and other different database systems (such as SQL, NoSQL)
- Should have experience in AI/ML development (CI/CD, Orchestration)
- Experience working in cloud-based environments such as AWS, GCP, or Azure and using cloud technologies for building AI solutions
- Knowledge of Tableau, Power BI, Plotly, git/version control systems, or similar
- Experience with various enterprise-level Application Programming Interfaces (APIs)
- Nice to be already involved in an Agile/Scrum environment and Comfortable utilizing tools like Jira & Confluence
- Nice to have experience in using some data science tools such as Datarobot, Dataiku, or Alteryx
Pursue progress, discover extraordinary
Better is out there. Better medications, better outcomes, better science. But progress doesn’t happen without people – people from different backgrounds, in different locations, doing different roles, all united by one thing: a desire to make miracles happen. So, let’s be those people.
At Sanofi, we provide equal opportunities to all regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or gender identity.
At Sanofi diversity and inclusion is foundational to how we operate and embedded in our Core Values. We recognize to truly tap into the richness diversity brings we must lead with inclusion and have a workplace where those differences can thrive and be leveraged to empower the lives of our colleagues, patients and customers. We respect and celebrate the diversity of our people, their backgrounds and experiences and provide equal opportunity for all.