Cloud Engineering Database Platforms Expert
The Database Platform and Services team is primarily responsible for the architecture of database solutions, on diverse platforms, utilizing varied technologies, such as: PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, and SQL Server. We are a diverse, global team of architects and database experts, located in Europe (France and Germany), India (Mumbai), and the United States (Boston and New Jersey). The team is responsible for over 10,000 database instances at Sanofi, across these four major technologies. Direct database administration operations are performed by our support provider. In addition to architecture and design of the Sanofi RDBMS services and platforms, our team works closely with the support provider, giving knowledge transfer, managing their activities, and ensuring a high degree of quality. The database solutions reside on several different platforms, including: on-premise regional data centers (NGDC), local data centers at industrial or R&D sites, and public cloud providers Azure (Microsoft), AWS (Amazon), and GCP (Google Cloud).
As a Senior Cloud Engineering Database Platforms Expert, you will take advantage of your prior experiences and possess a strong ability to design (architect), build (engineer), and maintain (run) the database platforms and services used across the Digital Teams by developing and implementing sound processes, procedures, and the necessary documentation to ensure that that each platform is maximized for the operational efficiency, availability and meets the technical and regulatory requirements for the Integration users. You will require a strong expertise in public Cloud database services (AWS and Azure), as well as Open-Source database technologies, such as PostgreSQL and MySQL, and traditional RDBMS technologies, such as Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server.
The Senior Cloud Engineering Database Platforms Expert is additionally responsible for ensuring all the platforms are kept up to date with the latest software and security. Your strong and broad technical background encompassing both cloud native and data center hosted solutions along with the underlying operating system, network, cybersecurity and other various development and system integration principals and techniques will enhance your ability to be successful in this role.
This is a highly visible position, and you will be a key contributor to how we modernize our platforms and change how we think about the solutions we apply. To be successful, you must have a deep understanding of the various database technology capabilities and the enterprise data and application patterns and principals. You will be a key member of the team and must be comfortable with driving technical ideas and communicating with both technical and non-technical individuals across the organization. Such communication can involve developing and giving presentations to technical, business, and management audiences and key stakeholders.
The Senior Cloud Engineering Database Platforms Expert will also be responsible for the analysis of business needs, defining the architecture for and participating in the delivery of innovative solutions to complex business and technical requirements on individual application deployments. He/she will deliver insight to the latest technologies and platform deployment techniques.
He/she provides guidance in onboarding new database technologies and working with reference architectures which contain a mix of on premise hosting, cloud and edge computing platforms.
The ideal candidate would have proven experience with enabling and architecting DB solutions in a public/hybrid cloud including but not limited to provisioning, configuration, migration from on premise to the cloud, resource optimization with metered instances and day-to-day operations.
What you will be doing:
- Design and implement various architectures for Enterprise Application and Data Integration, Messaging, and File Transfer platforms establishing best practices for system performance, security, and resilience to failure.
- Continuously analyze the performance and features of the various platforms enabling additional capacity and new features required for the business projects.
- Gain an understanding of the current state of our platforms and then define future state architectures and execute the strategy.
- Design platforms using automation tools such as Terraform, Ansible, and Shell for all phases of the solution’s lifecycle.
- Develop and document best practices around the various platforms incorporating feedback from across the organization.
- Ensure proper change management processes and procedures and regulatory and quality processes are followed.
- Perform technical reviews of projects utilizing the platforms to enforce standards and best practices of each platform and promote sound governance of its usage.
- Both contribute to and develop various dashboards and reports to gain insights into the performance and utilization of the platforms to improve operational effectiveness, future needs, and governance.
- Maintain a strong cross-functional relationship with the various project and operational teams, continually sharing new features, functionality, process improvements, lessons learned, and other best practices across the team.
- Lead and mentor other team members.
- Participate in the design, build and deployment of a new Open Source DB service and platform including service request, provisioning process, configuration, monitoring definition, backup and recovery strategy, and security.
- Ability to develop conceptual and detailed design documentation.
- Articulate and present different points-of-views on various technologies with key stakeholders of infrastructure programs via workshop, web conference and PowerPoint presentation.
- Mentor team members in technology, architecture and delivery of new solutions.
- Participate in POC's with applications and projects interested in using new DB platform capabilities.
- Work closely with our Operations Service Delivery partner to perform knowledge transfer (KT) training to Level2 and Level3 staff, support and optimize DB infrastructure.
- Work Experience:
- 7+ years of progressive experience working on RDBMS technologies and platforms as a DBA, or preferably in an Architect role, mostly with Oracle, PostgreSQL and MySQL. Experience with SQL Server is a plus.
- 5+ years of experience in either an IT leadership or individual contributor position, managing critical and technical projects.
- Minimum required skills:
- Experience working with a variety of cross-functional teams
- Good understanding of agile/scrum development processes and concepts
- Able to work in a fast-paced, constantly evolving environment and manage multiple priorities
- Pragmatic and capable of solving complex issues
- Service-oriented, flexible team player
- Attention to detail & technical intuition
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills for executive-level communication and collaboration
- Minimum preferred skills:
- Strong Regulatory Experience (GxP, Sarbanes-Oxley, French Data Protection Act (FDPA), General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Good knowledge of AWS/Cloud Computing (Knowledge of Azure or GCP a plus)
- Experience (and enjoyment) working with emerging technologies
- Technical skills:
- 7+ years’ experience working across Enterprise Integration, Messaging, and File Transfer platforms such as TIBCO BusinessWorks, TIBCO EMS, RabbitMQ, Kafka, Informatica Cloud, Axway TransferCFT, etc.
- Knowledge of integration design patterns and data engineering best practices
- Working knowledge of SQL and Python (Familiarity with other scripting languages a plus)
- Experience with Snowflake-related services such as DBT, HVR, and Snowpipe a plus.
- Experience with AWS data-related services such as EMR, Glue, S3, and Lambda.
- Experience with automation and DevOps capabilities such as Terraform, Ansible, GitHub
- Knowledge of the features and architectural design of Open Source DB technologies like MySQL, MariaDB, Amazon Aurora.
- - 3+ yrs. experience with Azure and AWS RDS or similar cloud hosting services.
- - 5+ yrs. experience with SQL Server 2008 and above.
- - 5+ yrs. experience with Oracle 11g and 12c.
- - Experience with DB disaster recovery/business continuity and DB replication implementation using SQL AlwaysOn, DB mirroring and Cloud geo-redundancy solutions.
- - Experience with Backup & Recovery techniques, database cloning, database refresh techniques, database upgrades and migrations.
- - Experience with Oracle 12c Cloud Control, BMC Tools like BPPM, BBDA.
- - Expertise in UNIX/Linux architecture, tools and shell scripting.
- - Experience with change control, incident/problem management, CMDB configuration, validation and qualification process, troubleshooting and root cause analysis.
- - Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- - Ability to work with minimal supervision, engaging peers and other departments to accomplish assigned goals and effectively manage projects in a cross-functional environment.
- Bachelor Degree
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Science or Information Management with a focus on Engineering. Master’s Degree in Computer Science or Engineering is preferred.
- Language Requirements: Fluent in English
- Physical Requirements: Not Applicable
At Sanofi diversity and inclusion is foundational to how we operate and embedded in our Core Values. We recognize to truly tap into the richness diversity brings we must lead with inclusion and have a workplace where those differences can thrive and be leveraged to empower the lives of our colleagues, patients and customers. We respect and celebrate the diversity of our people, their backgrounds and experiences and provide equal opportunity for all.