Principal Product Manager, Lending Partnerships
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
As a Principal Product Manager, Lending Partnerships at Upstart, you’ll be part of the team charged with helping lending partners (banks and credit unions) take advantage of our unique technology to achieve their business goals. Upstart is a marketplace business – our growth teams find individuals and businesses that can benefit from our AI driven lending products and our supply-side teams bring capital to the platform to fund these loans and deliver value to those providers. You will be responsible for defining the strategy to create that supply-side value for banks and credit unions and own the prioritization, definition, and delivery of important features to deliver that value.
Our products range from end-to-end AI-enabled origination platforms to APIs that allow banks to integrate our technology into their existing systems and workflows and you will work widely across our other vertical teams to be the voice of lending partners as we develop those products.
- Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote, San Mateo, CA, and Columbus, OH.
- Time Zone Requirements - This team operates in all US time zones.
- Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur 2-3 days per quarter at our San Mateo or Columbus office. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- You’ll define the vision and strategy for our lender-facing products. What should we focus on, why, and when?
- You’ll understand the needs of lending partners and define and build new solutions to meet their needs
- Work closely with our sales, marketing, compliance, and customer success to Identify and prioritize new and valuable tool and process improvements
- Launch features on a regular basis in conjunction with the engineering teams
- You will work closely with our individual product “vertical teams” (such as personal loans, auto refinance, small dollar loans, etc) to help shape those products to best align with lending partner needs
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum requirements:
- 8+ years of product management experience
- Experience with product management with a focus on software products and technologies
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- Preferred qualifications:
- B2B or B2B2C experience in a past product or product strategy role
- Experience at a growth-stage company or tech company
- Demonstrated ability to achieve strategic goals in an innovative and fast-paced environment, and to evolve product strategy based on research, data and industry trends
- Excellent problem-solving, organizational and analytical skills
- Experience with product management and software development using an Agile development methodology
- Knowledge of multiple functional areas such as Product Management, Engineering, UX/UI, Sales Customer Support, Finance or Marketing
- Understanding of full-funnel conversion best practices (e.g. distribution strategies, funnel conversion, operational go-to-market)
- Experience building online finance products, and/or knowledge of the consumer finance market
What you’ll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within this range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k). Sales positions generally offer a competitive On Target Earnings (OTE) incentive compensation structure. The salary listed below for sales roles is On Target Earnings which includes both salary and commission, assuming 100% target achievement.
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.
Something looks off?