Business Development Manager, Auto Retail
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Upstart’s Auto Retail team is building the future for car buying. We believe that the seamless, digital experiences we already use every day in other areas of our lives should be carried over to auto retail and integrated with the showroom experience at dealerships. Think of it as the perfect combination of Apple’s intuitive and elegant online-to-in-store shopping, Amazon’s obsession with convenience and seamless operations, and AI’s ability to streamline and enhance the lending experience—all applied to car shopping.
Offering a fully end-to-end digital retailing platform, including our leading AI lending technology, we are now better positioned than ever to deliver our mission of creating the world’s best car buying experience with cutting-edge auto-retail software, while enabling effortless credit based on true risk. Upstart is excited to continue to expand our core products offerings to the auto space and we need a strong sales team who can bring our unique solutions to dealerships across the country.
Our Auto Retail Business Development team is responsible for lead generation. They seek out new opportunities to reach dealerships and sell Upstart’s suite of AI enabled product offerings that will help dealerships provide their customers with a better customer experience and improve profitability. They’re an analytical, ambitious team that brings a unique proposition to the industry and provides support in a number of ways to help hit sales pipeline generation targets.. Alongside the Account Executives, they will enable Upstart to continue to grow its customer base and drive revenue.
As the Manager of Business Development, Auto Retail at Upstart, you will train, coach, and motivate a team of high performing Sales Development Representatives. You are someone who loves solving challenges, motivating your team and is constantly looking for ways to improve the sales process and conversion rates. As a frontline manager you will be focused on building a sales pipeline and achieving individual and team quotas as well as will partner closely with marketing on demand generation programs/campaigns to develop the sales strategy while driving key initiatives to achieve sales objectives.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Austin,TX. This role will be based in Austin with 3 days required in office.
Travel Requirements - This team has regular onsite collaboration sessions. These occur 3 days per Quarter at one of Upstart’s offices. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Lead a team of Sales Development Representatives responsible for converting outbound and inbound leads into meetings and opportunities for the Sales team
- Recruit, hire, train, motivate, and coach SDRs, focused on attracting and retaining top talent that has ability to quickly grow and scale within the organization
- Set and ensure team meets quarterly KPI objectives including completing a high volume of daily activities
- Drive operational excellence by identifying opportunities for better process and/or structure
- Track sales metrics and report on team/individual results to Sales and Marketing leadership
- Collaborate with marketing to drive new business through demand generation
- Develop relationships with Sales segments to ensure positive working relationships and maximize the effectiveness of sales development
What we’re looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree in business or a related field
- 2+ years of sales leadership experience with a focus on SaaS B2B sales development
- Proven measurable success in growing sales pipeline through a targeted account-based approach
- Passion for hiring, building and leading high performing teams made up of Excited by attracting, recruiting, developing and retaining world-class talent early in their careers
- Ability to build strong cross-functional relationships by being collaborative, innovative, accountable, and reliable
- Leverages data and analytics to track progress and influence key stakeholders
- Think big by working to achieve a deep understanding of different sales methodologies and are always looking to grow
- Previous experience within automotive industry
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills to engage prospective customers
- Strong organizational and time management skills to prioritize daily and weekly sales activities
- Passion for having an impact on demand generation and sales growth
- Strong work-ethic with a strong sense of ownership, accountability and a desire to continually improve
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated annualized base salary for this position is expected to be within this range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k). Sales positions generally offer a competitive On Target Earnings (OTE) incentive compensation structure. The salary listed below for sales roles is On Target Earnings which includes both salary and commission, assuming 100% target achievement.
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.
Something looks off?