Senior Systems Engineer
Ready to change the world?
This is a 6 month contract role with the possibility to extend.
We are reinventing how products are delivered around the world by unlocking the path not yet traveled. Our company was founded in 2015 and is backed by Silicon Valley’s most prominent VCs, including YCombinator, Lightspeed Venture Partners, and Icon Ventures. Volansi provides fast on-demand aerial delivery service for time-critical shipments over long ranges. We build and operate long-range, high-payload drones for commercial, defense, and humanitarian applications. Leveraging drone technology as a transportation method, we help our customers gain control of their supply chain and save millions of dollars on downtime and inventory costs. Our work came from the immediate need for critical delivery of parts to drastically reduce downtime for an automotive company. From this idea, our founders have scaled the company into a team of highly skilled and motivated individuals to serve critical delivery markets.
We are looking for a self-motivated, ultra-organized and pragmatic Senior Systems Engineer with a burning desire to constantly push the known boundaries of technology to create the next generation of delivery platforms. The successful candidate will become Volansi’s Systems Engineering subject matter expert and will own all Systems Engineering processes. This position will report directly to the VP of Product Management.
What you will do
- Champion technical processes, best practices and tool development for system engineering and product development including requirements capture and flow-down, preliminary design, critical design, product realization, design verification testing, and system integration
- You will develop Concept of Operations and lead system trade studies
- You will help establish entrance and exit criteria for technical gates and lead gated reviews for one or several complex unmanned aircraft system development program(s)
- Using our product roadmap as a guiding star, you will develop and decompose product requirements. You will define and document critical interfaces between subsystems
- You will help define and configuration control the system baseline
- You will work with the engineering disciplines to develop subsystem and system level test plans that verify the requirements are met
- You will develop structure, behavior, and requirements system models using SysML software (e.g. NoMagic, Rhapsody, Innoslate)
- You will perform and maintain Functional Hazard Assessments (FHA), Fault Tree Analyses (FTA), and Failure Modes and Effects Analyses (FMEA)
- You will determine and create product lifecycle analyses supporting reliability and maintainability objectives, such as MTBF, MTBR, MTBO.
- You will establish, monitor, document and improve processes specific to systems engineering
- Technical degree in a relevant discipline (e.g. Aerospace Engineering)
- At least 8 years of experience as a Systems Engineer on increasingly complex, fast-paced development programs in aerospace that included both hardware and software components
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Experience following Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) methods using software suites that leverage SysML (e.g. NoMagic, Rhapsody, Innoslate)
- System safety, requirements management, risk management, and configuration management experience
- Ability to coordinate and lead teams around complex technical subjects
- Ability to prioritize and follow through on all work
- Exceptional written and verbal communication with an emphasis on interpersonal and organizational skills
- Experience with all stages to the product life cycle from concept to end of life
- Hands-on engineering experience
- Experience with Agile development processes
- Experience with collaboration tools such as Confluence and JIRA
- Experience with unmanned aviation development programs