Accounting & Finance
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2024
Advanced Navigation is one of the world’s most ambitious innovators in AI robotics and navigation technology across land, air, sea and space. While our main headquarters are in Sydney, we have multiple research facilities in Australia and sales offices around the world.
Today, Advanced Navigation is a supplier to some of the world's largest companies and helps automate some of the worlds biggest industries. Hydrus, our revolutionary underwater robot will help restore oceans to a flourishing state. You will find our navigation systems in the autonomous Indy race cars and thousands of Plus AI autonomous trucks. We help farmers adopt autonomous farming equipment and assist in various fields of research. Switching to software, our cloud-based drone management platform helps patrol beaches for emergency rescues and shark tracking. Off-planet, we will deliver a navigation system for the next NASA moon landing. The applications of our technologies are quite limitless - where there is autonomy, you will find Advanced Navigation.
As the financial controller for Advanced Navigation you will be responsible for overseeing the financial records for the business.
- Ensuring accuracy of the group financial statements as well as individual company financial statements.
- Overseeing the financial planning of the budget together with the various heads of departments
- Tracking, reporting and analysing budget variances
- Ensuring compliance with government regulations in all jurisdictions globally (Review BAS/IAS statement preparation, including payroll)
- Update the future forecasts for the group as well as the individual companies
- Recommending changes to improve financial performance
- Recommending changes in policies or procedures that will improve financial performance Reviewing bank reconciliations for all companies to ensure they are accurate
- Process and review the payroll function in all countries
- Complete regular filing and administration tasks
- Keep a calendar of key filing dates for Australia, USA and UK up to date and make sure they are not missed
- Undertake any other specific duties as required by the CFO
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, economics or business administration.
- Preparing the monthly accounts;
- Reviewing and lodgment of monthly or quarterly business activity statements (BAS)
- Reviewing reconciliation of bank accounts;
- Experience in overseeing the financial records of a company
- Overseeing the accounts’ payable function including the processing of invoices due for payment;
- Overseeing the accounts’ receivable function including the allocation of payments;
- Credit control of overdue payments;
- Processing payroll and other related payroll tasks;
- You have good experience with ERP systems;
- You have at least 10 years commercial experience
- Be highly motivated with an energetic, responsive and decisive disposition;
- Strong knowledge of WHS practices;
- Proven high standard of attention to detail, time management and “follow-through”.
- Technical Financial Skills: Profound understanding of accounting principles, financial reporting, budgeting, and forecasting. You should be adept in managing general ledger, conducting financial analysis, and preparing financial statements.
- Regulatory Knowledge: Up-to-date knowledge of accounting standards and compliance requirements, including GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) and IFRS (International Financial Reporting Standards), is essential.
- Analytical Skills: Strong analytical skills are crucial for interpreting complex financial data, identifying trends, and making data-driven decisions that affect the company's financial health.
- Technology Proficiency: Expertise in financial software and systems, like ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) systems, and advanced skills in Excel or other data analysis tools.
- Management and Leadership: Ability to lead and manage a finance team, including developing junior staff, overseeing workloads, and ensuring the team meets deadlines and maintains high standards.
- Communication Skills: Effective communication skills are key for explaining financial concepts and findings to non-financial stakeholders, including senior executives, board members, and sometimes external parties like investors.
- Problem-Solving Ability: Skill in identifying issues and developing pragmatic solutions, especially in areas like cash flow management, cost reduction, and financial risk management.
- Attention to Detail: High level of precision in work, ensuring accuracy in financial reporting and compliance.
- Strategic Thinking: Ability to contribute to strategic planning and decision-making, helping align financial management with broader business goals
- Time Management and Organization: Capability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines, prioritizing effectively to meet business needs.
- Ethical Judgment and Professionalism: Maintaining high ethical standards and professionalism, particularly in handling confidential financial information.
- Adaptability: Being flexible and adaptable in a rapidly changing business environment, especially when dealing with regulatory changes or shifts in the market.
What are some of the benefits you will have access to?
Our Sydney office is in the heart of the CBD, close to all public transport, great restaurants and cafe’s. We offer financial support to our employees for further education as well as conferences, meetups and training courses. We also run an employee assistance program and regular team building and social activities. We have weekly Yoga, Meditation and Pilates classes, as well as the occasional dance class! There’s also free coffee and snacks, and fortnightly team lunches. Apart from the above you will be doing your life's best work with some extremely passionate and talented people.