Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2023
Descartes Labs helps organizations whose success depends on the scientific analysis of observable, physical world events. We are the leading provider of geospatial analytics that create actionable intelligence by strengthening our customers’ proprietary data with models of the earth. Our solutions create new sources of environmental sustainability and operational advantage and foresight for agriculture, consumer packaged goods (CPG), mining, and government users by combining machine intelligence and domain expertise into a complete operational solution.
Descartes Labs is proud to be a remote-first, deliberately distributed organization that recognizes that people have different needs and motivations for building a life and career that matters and works for them. For this reason, we are open to our employees working from any location, in a way that enhances their well-being, productivity, and role. We focus on helping our employees produce positive outcomes and we recognize that the path to getting there will look different for different people.
As a Full-stack Engineer you will build web applications for analysis, visualization, and delivery of data with a focus on geospatial applications. You will bridge dual responsibilities serving the customer elegant and consistent user interfaces, while also delivering scalable and distributed, fault-tolerant software. The bulk of your work is done in collaboration with UI/UX designers and engineers, backend engineers, and product managers, but you will also independently identify and advocate for improvements and innovations in our products.
- Build and ship applications backed by our team of highly-skilled engineers and scientists.
- Deliver a positive customer experience across our suite of products and diverse customer base.
- Implement full-stack scalability requirements that support both the customer and the data.
- Collaborate on internal and external documentation requirements.
- Establish repeatable practices and code for maximum deployment speed and scalability.
- Mentor through best practice setting, code reviews, and paired programming while promoting a positive culture.
- Participate in on-call rotations with your team and actively improve service health.
What You Bring
- 4 - 6 years of experience in a full-stack engineering or similar role
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, software engineering, or related field or equivalent experience
- You have developed and maintained web applications for a variety of customers, from science to business experts
- You have a disciplined approach to testing and code quality assurance
- Experience with server-side concepts, e.g. microservices, database, caching, performance, monitoring, CI/CD and scalability
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, and enthusiastic collaboration with a distributed, fully remote team
Our Tech Stack
- React, Redux, Typescript
- Bazel with Webpack
- Balsamiq and Figma
- C++, Rust, Go
- Tensorflow, Flask, NumPy, SciPy
- Kubernetes, Istio
- Microservice architecture, GRPC
- Firestore, Elastisearch, Redis
- Git, Bazel, Drone and Spinnaker
- GDAL, S2, Proj4
Who You Are
- Curious. You are always exploring and experimenting, interested in why and how, seeking not only to understand but to make work and the world better. You enthusiastically share your learning with others and actively seek information and knowledge.
- Conscientious. You are determined, always keep your promises, and are forward thinking. Principled and integrous, you take your commitments seriously.
- Humble. Unpretentious and self-aware, you cultivate compassion for others and take responsibility for your mistakes. Egoes are barriers to doing the best work and always learning.
- Open and Inclusive. You are receptive and interested in new ideas and perspectives, even when those perspectives don’t agree with your views. You value and respect difference and create ways for all people to contribute to the organization.
- Collaborative. You know it takes a team to get anything accomplished and you actively and inclusively work across the organization. You listen intently and openly and are always focused first on creating the best results.
- Adaptable. You are able to navigate changing circumstances and environments with ease and approach uncertainty with enthusiasm, while inspiring others towards effective goal setting and accomplishment.
Top Reasons to Work at Descartes Labs
- We pride collaboration over ownership, iteration over perfection, principles over rules, and discussion over directives
- We’re using the world’s top technology to solve the world’s largest problems with a strong focus on sustainability, environment, and impact science
- We look at Descartes Labs as a work environment where people are included, treat their colleagues with professional regard and respect, and thrive as a resultWe’re a highly collaborative company that constantly promotes success through teamwork
- We strongly encourage and enjoy a flexible work environment
- Descartes Labs offers a generous compensation package including a competitive salary; choice of medical plan; dental, life, and disability insurance; paid holidays and flexible paid time off
You belong here! If your experience and interests match with some of the above, we want you to apply.
We are dedicated to building a diverse community, where employees belong, even if they are different. Scientific discovery is in our DNA, and diversity fuels innovation.
See more open positions at Descartes Labs
Something looks off?