Head of Communications - Remote, US
Earnest’s mission is to make higher education accessible and affordable for everyone. We empower past, present, and soon-to-be students to maximize their financial futures through thoughtful guidance and impactful products.
We build tools that help people feel in control of their financial future, including:
- Private student loans - low rates, people-first service, and flexible payments.
- Student loan refinancing - break free from high interest rates or monthly payments.
- Scholarships - access to thousands of scholarships to help students pay less.
The Head of Communications will report to the Chief Marketing Officer.
As the Head of Communications, you will:
- Develop and implement a comprehensive public relations strategy to enhance the company’s visibility and reputation with students, parents, financial aid officers, and cosigners.
- Cultivate relationships with top-tier media outlets, journalists, and influencers to secure impactful and positive coverage.
- Proactively identify and pursue opportunities for thought leadership articles, op-eds, and speaking engagements to position the company as a trusted leader in the student lending industry.
- Develop and maintain relationships with industry associations, policymakers, and influencers to contribute to relevant conversations and policy discussions.
- Partner with the internal communications manager to develop and execute a comprehensive internal communications strategy that fosters a strong sense of community, purpose, and excitement among employees.
- Develop and maintain crisis communication plans, ensuring the company is well-prepared to handle potential issues and mitigate reputational risks.
- Drive thought leadership initiatives by staying abreast of trends in student financing and higher education, and developing compelling narratives and content, collaborating with key stakeholders, including executives and subject matter experts, to create and promote insightful content that positions the company as an industry influencer.
- Align the company around OKRs, vision, mission, and values.
- Decision-making power over editorial mentions of Earnest, routing to Navient/Earnest legal for approval with autonomy in communication strategy and specific publications.
- Responsible for approval of community verbiage and responses to consumers enacted by the Community Manager or others who engage with questions/feedback about the brand in visible settings.
- Autonomy over awards applications and shortlists for which Earnest applies and/or chooses to be considered.
- 8+ years experience in corporate communications, public relations, or a related role, preferably in the financial or education sector.
- Strong media relations skills and a track record of securing top-tier media coverage.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to think strategically, analyze complex issues, and provide insightful recommendations.
- Experience in managing internal communication programs that drive employee engagement and alignment.
- Crisis communication experience is a plus.
- Ability to analyze communication metrics and insights, translating data into actionable strategies for continuous improvement..
What makes an “Earnie” culture:
- Drivers – Drivers are satisfied by making things happen, not coming along for the ride. They feel a strong sense of ownership for their projects and teams and demand high standards from themselves and others.
- Humility – Humble team players check their egos and consider the team’s needs above their own. They are self-aware of their strengths and opportunities for improvement.
- Growth Mindset – People with a growth mindset approach challenges and failures as learning opportunities. They seek feedback to improve, give feedback to others, and genuinely want to perform well.
Earnies are committed to helping students live their best lives, free from the stress of student debt. If you’re as passionate as we are about our mission, read more below, and let’s build something great together!
Earnest believes in enabling our employees to live their best lives. We offer a variety of perks and competitive benefits, including:
- Health, Dental, & Vision benefits plus savings plans
- Work anywhere in the U.S.
- Mac computers + work from home stipend to set up your home office
- Monthly internet and phone reimbursement
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- 401(k) plan to help you save for retirement plus a company match
- Robust tuition reimbursement program
- $1,000 travel perk on each Earnie-versary to anywhere in the world
- Competitive days of annual PTO
- Annual “my day”
- Pet insurance!
- Competitive parental leave
- Plenty of Earnest swag, optional in person team gatherings, picnics, celebrations, and plenty of fun virtual events
At Earnest, we are committed to building an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity, inclusion, equity, and belonging enables us to move forward with our mission. We are dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage anyone to apply if your experience is close to what we are looking for.
Earnest provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status disability or genetics. Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for the position in a manner consistent with the Fair Chance Ordinance.