Software Engineer (Perception & Localization)
Orchards in the U.S. produce $35B of fruit every year, but fruit farmers are losing 30-50% of their potential crop because they lack data needed to manage crops precisely.
Orchard Robotics is a seed-stage startup backed by top VCs like General Catalyst, Contrary, Soma Capital, Humba Ventures, and angel investors like Howard Lerman (founder of Yext).
We’re building Robots & AI that enable precision crop management. Our AI-powered camera systems count, size, and measure the growth of every fruit on 1,000,000+ trees in an orchard. Our mission is to help farmers to produce more food for the world, much more efficiently.
Farmers are using our technology today in some of the largest orchards in the nation.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer who will utilize their extensive experience to invent creative, pragmatic, and robust solutions to challenging, real-world computer vision problems relating to perception and localization. In order to analyze millions of fruit in orchards all year long, our advanced, tractor-mounted camera systems have to know a.) precisely where they are, and b.) exactly what fruit they are seeing.
If you're looking to help make a positive impact in the world by transforming the future of agriculture, come join us. Even if you may not meet every requirement, we'd strongly encourage you apply.
About the role:
- As an early engineer, you'll receive generous equity compensation
- Full-time role at our Bellevue, WA headquarters
- Flexible working hours
- Comprehensive Health, Vision, and Dental coverage
- We move fast, and sometimes this means staying late or working weekends
- Our team is close-knit & highly driven, you’ll work directly with our CEO and entire team
- We’re deeply motivated by the impact we’re making – every line of code written or new system built means one less fruit that goes to waste, and one more person who is fed.
What you’ll do:
- Develop, test, and iterate on perception and localization algorithms for our advanced camera systems that mount onto tractors to analyze millions of fruit in orchards
- Implement intelligent sensor data filtering to interpret complex, real-world data (our systems collect TBs of orchard data every day)
- Fuse sensor data (depth, GPS, IMU, etc) to precisely locate our camera system in an orchard, localize detected fruit and trees
- Optimize code for fast edge computing performance (Python & C++)
- Build out comprehensive test suites to evaluate and validate system performance over a range of real-world edge cases
- Be a generalist, supporting different parts of our software and hardware if needed
What makes you a good fit:
- 3+ years of relevant robotics software experience in industry or academia
- A deep understanding or expertise in one or more of the following areas: computer vision, stereo depth perception, robot pose estimation and tracking, object detection, multi-object tracking, re-localization of scenes that may change over time, sensor fusion, motion tracking, image processing, optical flow.
- Strong understanding of core robotics software principles, geometry, localization techniques
- Hands-on experience developing robotics software from the ground up
- Ability to learn quickly and operate in a dynamic environment
- Enthusiasm for taking on multiple roles and responsibilities as our company grows
- Experience deploying & optimizing robotics algorithms to run fast on embedded compute like NVIDIA Jetson
- Familiarity with fusing data from GPS, IMU, depth, and other sensors
- Familiar with embedded edge computing (NVIDIA Jetson)
Above all, we value candidates who aren’t afraid to tackle real-world challenges head-on, and are ready to make a truly positive impact on the biggest industry in the world (agriculture).
Join us in helping foster a more fruitful future!