Regional Brand R&D Head
SANOFI CHC PURPOSE AND ASPIRATION
At Sanofi CHC, we have one shared purpose - we work passionately, every day, to ‘serve healthier, fuller lives. Our marketing philosophy is driven by this purpose and everything we do is centered around people – our consumers, our customers, healthcare professionals, and our employees – across the world.
We are building brands that serve 1bn consumers worldwide, so that they can live healthier, fuller lives. In order to do this better than anybody else, we aspire to become the most consumer-centric Fast Moving Consumer Healthcare Business. We want to be market shapers and achieve category leadership in the categories that we play in - delivered through strong global-local partnership. We are a people first business, placing consumers at the heart of everything we do through uncovering and activating deep consumer and shopper insights, for example.
As a top 3 global CHC player, we want to raise the bar in terms of our strategic and operational capabilities to enable sustainable, above-market growth. In order to achieve this, we need strong talents that will help us shape the future of CHC while sharing our core values of courage, teamwork, respect, and integrity.
The job holder will be responsible for leadership of R&D for the regional/local brands, which currently delivers 30% of base business ambition and 60% of total growth ambition through innovation (still valid for the region? If not, to be deleted). He/She will lead a team of R&D brand leads who are responsible end to end for delivery of brand pipelines & any science led activities relevant to base business. The job holder will be expected to be a strong brand led leader with the ability to translating science & technology into brand led strategies. He/She will be expected to drive business growth through brand led science strategies and to be a business partner for Brand and Innovation leaders to prioritise portfolio for our CHC business and deliver on our enterprise ambition of putting health in the hands of our consumers.
The job holder will ensure that R&D pipeline is strong for regional/local brands with bigger projects based on consumer led brand insights. He/she will be responsible for ensuring a differentiated pipeline with clarity on how to win based on science & technology. The job holder will ensure consistency of approach across brands and share best practice across global brand R&D.
The job holder will ensure that there is a strategy portfolio approach for regional/local brands across short, medium & long term (1 – 5 years) to ensure roll out in markets & sufficient support to launch. He/she will work closely with the global R&D team and development center head to ensure a development plan based on internal & external capability today and tomorrow. The job holder will work closely with local regulatory & medical leads to ensure a strong IBBP & content to support regional/local brands to win in market and with HCPs.
The job holder will ensure that there is a future facing approach for the regional/local brands across R&D, regulatory and medical/PV where we are reacting to global trends and to health authorities; they will ensure that we have a prioritized approach to our sustainability agenda aligned to CHC strategy.
The job holder will ensure that we take an innovative approach to R&D bringing consumer insights to project, define patent strategy & approach. They will partner closely with Regional PM head/leads to ensure that projects are progressing on time & in full. The job holder will be a key partner at regional IC to update progress of regional brand pipeline and be able to engage with regional heads with clear recommendations and asks.
- Accountable to deliver R&D pipeline for regional/local brands to meet agreed innovation sales targets in line with growth strat plan while ensuring consistency of delivery and sharing best practice across brands
- Accountable to deliver portfolio for brands balancing short, medium & long term R&D projects that utilize claims, NPD, clinicals and packaging innovation with sustainability
- Accountable to ensure delivery of fewer, bigger innovation projects partnering with growth hub to strengthen our projects through consumer based insights
- Deliver Patent pipeline for regional brands based on differentiated science
- Strong partnership with regional IPM to ensure execution on time and in full
- Define R&D capability needed for future pipeline and propose to leadership team
- Strong cross functional team work to ensure that innovation pipeline is delivered
- Accountable to ensure that all base business protection projects for global brands are identified and prioritized based on risk
- Ensure that a strong external technology network is being used to deliver & accelerate differentiated technology opportunities
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- Brand and Innovation regional Innovation Portfolio Head
- Regional SH Heads and global SH teams
- Design Sustainability & packaging innovation Head
- Consumer Science Head
- Finance business partner to ensure strong business case
- Local reg and medical teams
- Development centers
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
- Degree in Science or Higher degree (Ph.D.) or relevant Academic qualification is desirable
Required knowledge and/or experience
- Strong business leader who can translate consumer insights into brand led pipelines
- Over 10 years experience in R&D with proven track record delivering to brands
- Identify and allocate roles/resources needed for regional brand pipeline
- Supports and develops his/her teams, also to progress against timelines of milestones leveraging creative problem solving & innovative solutions
- Ensure brand relevant risk discussions and risk mitigation plans
- Develops integrated plans & budget for all innovation programs in the brands/region (for all projects in his/her scope)
- Responsible for delivering a sustainable innovation pipeline
- Secure, identify and leverage external partnerships, suppliers, providers, key opinion leaders, etc., to influence innovation for the global brands
- Identify and build missing key (world class) capabilities for innovation/science & technology of his/her brands
- Influences and advises key stakeholders & the leadership team on industry trends and new opportunities for his/her brands/region
- Accountable E2E, together with Project Managers, from ideation to launch of the innov. pipeline
- Assign science partners to the program Core Team roles; monitor fit, offer feedback to enhance fit and reassign roles to other partners when useful to enhance fit. Key Coach to Technical Program
- His/her team evaluate innovations (external or in-house ideas) for regional/local brands
- Scope of innovations: BD opportunities, NPD, claims with significant impact that need clinicals, novel ingredients & formulation technologies, sustainable solutions
- Fluent spoken and written English and Japanese
Cultural traits / P2W Behavior
- Push to go beyond the level we have operated until now: constantly challenge the status quo focusing on the priorities that will deliver the best outcomes and letting go what won’t: be intolerant to mediocracy, believe we can and must do better and aim at higher but never at the expenses of our values and judgment
- Put the interest of the organization ahead of own of those of his/her team: consider both short and long term impact of decisions; puts collective and global goals above individual or local goals; share resources and capabilities with those with the greatest need and impact; enable decision making at appropriate level
- Act in the interest of our patients and customers: actively engage with customers to know their current and future needs; brings an external perspective into decisions
- Take action and don’t wait to be told what to do: take smart and informed best bets with the information at hand and anticipate the consequences of her/his actions; use personal judgement and others’ advice to make bold and impactful decisions which move us forward
- Role model our 4 values: teamwork, integrity, respect, courage
Required Leadership Competencies
- Strategic Thinking - ability to evaluate relevant areas of operation, formulate objectives and set priorities in a contextually relevant way, and develop plans consistent with long-term organizational interests
- Business Acumen – Ability to effectively use economic, financial, market, stakeholder, and industry-specific indicators to fully understand and improve business results
- Judgement- The ability to draw logical conclusions based on acquired information and analytical rigor in problem-solving, the ability to make effective decisions even when information is ambiguous or incomplete
- Team Leadership – Ability to build cohesive, high-performance teams that take accountability and achieve required results
- Interpersonal relationships - treating others with courtesy, sensitivity, and respect.
- Change Leadership - The ability to demonstrate support and drive for innovation and organizational transformation
- Personal Leadership - Personal leadership translates into courage, choice, and commitment through the pursuit of excellence, trust, and accountability. Ability to put patient, stakeholder, and organizational interests above personal interests
- Drive -Takes the lead and initiates activities with a high degree of passion and commitment as well as the drive, desire and need to achieve challenging goals, to improve performance or to meet personal standards of excellence
- Learning Agility – Ability to navigate first time/unfamiliar situations effectively by extrapolating from other areas of expertise and knowledge. Ability to continuously improve and develop self
At Sanofi diversity and inclusion is foundational to how we operate and embedded in our Core Values. We recognize to truly tap into the richness diversity brings we must lead with inclusion and have a workplace where those differences can thrive and be leveraged to empower the lives of our colleagues, patients and customers. We respect and celebrate the diversity of our people, their backgrounds and experiences and provide equal opportunity for all.