Senior Associate Scientist - Lab Automation Engineer
- Location: Ghent, BE
- This is an on-site role with possibility of occasional ad-hoc remote work
- Job type: Permanent, full time
About the job
Join Sanofi R&D in Ghent as Senior Associate Scientist - Lab Automation Engineer to strengthen our automation expertise in the High-throughput Profiling Unit (Discovery department). In this role, you will support the development of high-throughput automated assays and processes on state-of-the-art equipment. You will directly contribute to the acceleration of R&D projects by bringing your expertise in the automation of screening/characterization assays and functional assessment of NANOBODY® lead candidates. These activities will support the NANOBODY® drug discovery campaigns in different therapeutic areas (e.g. immuno-oncology, immunology, inflammation, etc.).
About our team
Sanofi Ghent site is a biopharmaceutical company dedicated to creating new antibody-based medicines called NANOBODY® molecules which are making a real difference to society. Ghent site currently has over 400 people working on the development of NANOBODY® proteins for the treatment of a wide range of diseases, including inflammation, immuno-oncology, and rare diseases.
You will become a member of an enthusiastic team with a can-do attitude, which is fun-loving and always ready to help.
- Programming of laboratory automation equipment (liquid handlers, robotics) for the development of fully automated high throughput immunoassays
- Independently designing and executing automated experiments
- Keeping up with latest developments in the field of Lab automation
- Maintaining integrated automation instruments
- Developing methods and scripts to automate analysis of large data sets
- Experimental reporting and preparation of validation documents
- Assisting technical staff in large scale automated experiments for multiple projects starting from the lab up to data analysis and reporting
- Provide training and guidance to personnel regarding automation protocol development and execution
- Collaborate regarding technical expertise within the Sanofi network and with external engineering companies
- Maintain a broad knowledge of automation concepts, practices, and procedures and critically evaluate relevant literature with respect to applicable projects
- Degree of B.Sc. with 4 years of relevant experience or M.Sc. with 2 years (degree should be in engineering, bioengineering, computer science or applied science field)
- Experience in transforming laboratory immunoassays into fully automated high-throughput assays is a huge benefit
- Experience with laboratory automation equipment (Tecan, Hamilton or Agilent based systems) and operational knowledge of immunoassay-based instruments (such as flow cytometers, Luminex, MesoScale, Biotek, Cytomat and Multi-mode plate readers)
- Programming expertise with one or more commercial liquid handlers and HTS software are required (PlateButler, EvoWare, Fluentcontrol, Venus, Vantage, Overlord), while programming knowledge in Python, Java Script, .NET (VB, C#, ASP), SQL server, VBA Excel or Matlab is highly desired
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills
- A pro-active approach and high sense for safety, quality, accuracy, and detail
- A team-oriented attitude, flexibility, enthusiasm, and ability to work independently
- Verbal and written fluency in English with ability to report and discuss experimental design and data
The CV should be in English and should include a separate paragraph specifying your technical expertise. If you possess the necessary skills to fulfil this unique role, we very much look forward to hearing from you.
Pursue progress. Discover extraordinary.
Better is out there. Better medications, better outcomes, better science. But progress doesn’t happen without people – people from different backgrounds, in different locations, doing different roles, all united by one thing: a desire to make miracles happen. So, let’s be those people.
At Sanofi, we provide equal opportunities to all regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or gender identity. Watch our ALL IN video and check out our Diversity Equity and Inclusion actions at sanofi.com!
At Sanofi diversity and inclusion is foundational to how we operate and embedded in our Core Values. We recognize to truly tap into the richness diversity brings we must lead with inclusion and have a workplace where those differences can thrive and be leveraged to empower the lives of our colleagues, patients and customers. We respect and celebrate the diversity of our people, their backgrounds and experiences and provide equal opportunity for all.