Senior Tax Associate
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Upstart is looking to add a highly motivated Senior Tax Accountant to our Tax team. This person will assist the overall tax function from tax compliance, tax provision, information return reporting, tax research, and has the opportunity to build up and improve the operation process.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: San Mateo, CA
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates on the West Coast time zones.
Office Requirements - This team has weekly on-site collaboration sessions. These occur 1 day a week in the San Mateo office, typically on Wednesdays.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Assist with data collection from internal departments and divisions to satisfy compliance and provision needs
- Assist with review of federal, state & local income/franchise tax returns and supporting schedules
- Preparation/review of estimated payments and extensions for federal, state & local income/franchise tax and non-income tax
- Manage income tax compliance and reporting calendar
- Assist with research and completion of tax notices
- Assist in the preparation and documentation of quarterly and year-end tax provision computations and SOX compliance
- Assist with annual information return reporting including 1099 and 1098 and ad-hoc requests/tasks
- Proactively identify opportunities for process enhancements and assist with the design and implementation of proposed automation solutions
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum qualifications:
- 3-4 years of relevant experience including income tax compliance, income tax provision (ASC 740), information return reporting
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Suite.
- Ability to learn quickly, work independently with general direction and guidance, and adapt to a fast-paced environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in Accounting or related field
- Preferred qualifications:
- Public accounting firm experience with a Big 4 or large accounting firm or corporation tax department. FinTech is a plus
- Experience with systems such as Netsuite, Looker, and Alteryx
- Strong continuous improvement mindset
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.