Senior Engineering Manager, Identity & Access Management
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Upstart’s Identity team addresses the company’s mission-critical need to ensure appropriate access to resources across increasingly heterogeneous product services and to meet increasingly rigorous compliance requirements. Team provides reusable authentication and authorization frameworks that allow our product teams to move faster and more securely.
As the Senior Engineering Manager for the Identity team at Upstart, your leadership will be instrumental in ensuring the development and execution of top-tier identity verification, authentication, and access control solutions for our platforms. You will leverage domain-specific expertise in areas such as multi-factor authentication (MFA), single sign-on (SSO), role and relation based access control (RBAC/ReBAC), and identity federation. Your grasp of industry standards like OAuth, OpenID Connect, and SAML will be vital in driving innovation and maintaining the security integrity of our products.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote, San Mateo, Columbus & Austin
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates across all U.S. time zones
Travel Requirements - As a digital-first company, the majority of your work can be accomplished remotely. Most of our employees can live and work anywhere in the U.S., but are encouraged to to still spend high quality time in-person collaborating via regular on-sites. The cadence varies depending on the team and role, but most teams meet once or twice per quarter for 2-4 consecutive days at a time.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Define and implement a roadmap for the IAM solutions that aligns with company objectives and industry best practices
- Lead, mentor, and manage a team of engineers, ensuring continuous team growth and individual development
- Work closely with product, information security, operations, and other engineering teams to ensure seamless integration of IAM functionalities
- Ensure that all IAM solutions adhere to the highest security standards and comply with regulatory requirements
- Ensure high availability and performance of IAM services, addressing and mitigating any issues proactively
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field
- 8+ years of experience in software development with a minimum of 3 years in identity and access management
- Strong knowledge of IAM protocols and standards such as OAuth, OpenID Connect, SAML, and LDAP
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to convey complex technical information to a variety of audiences
- Preferred qualifications:
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field
- Familiarity with modern cloud-based IAM solutions
- Commitment to continuous learning and staying updated with industry advancements
- Proven track record of leading and scaling engineering teams
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.