Principal Product Manager, HELOC
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Upstart’s Home Lending Team is tackling the largest credit market in the world. Each year trillions of home loans are originated. The process is generally slow and painful, and millions of Americans with imperfect credit or difficult-to-document income are left behind entirely. We’re trying to change that.
Our first product, a Home Equity Line of Credit, aims to be the best way for homeowners to borrow money. Our goal is to approve most applicants in 10 minutes and get funds in 5 days. Traditional HELOCs, by contrast, deny more than 50% of applicants and take 5 weeks to close. Our team is a bit like a startup in a larger company, iterating quickly to better serve customers and grow the business. We’ve got early traction and are growing the team to accelerate our growth. Once we’ve successfully scaled this product, we expect to launch a mortgage product to streamline the home buying process and responsibly expand access to credit.
As a Principal Product Manager, you’ll be responsible for building a best in class HELOC application process. You’ll own our growth channels, online application, pricing engine, and offers. You’ll set and own goals for finding and approving more borrowers, and getting them to accept our offers. You’ll partner closely with engineering, machine learning, design, compliance, operation, and growth to design and ship great software that delights the customer and grows the business.
- Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote, San Mateo, CA, and Columbus, OH.
- Time Zone Requirements - This team operates in all US time zones.
- Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur 2-3 days per quarter at our San Mateo or Columbus office. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact
- Expert on our customer - You’ll conduct user research and interview customers to understand their needs, goals, and problems better than anyone else.
- Design delightful customer experiences - In partnership with Product Design, you’ll wireframe new ideas and work with a designer to explore new concepts.
- Define product roadmap - You’ll work across the team to craft a long-term roadmap to achieve our vision.
- Align cross-functional stakeholders - You’ll represent HELOC from executive leadership to partner teams.
- Document clear requirements - You’ll turn ideas into well-crafted requirements documents that clearly articulate what we’re building, and why.
- Ship great software - In partnership with engineering and machine learning, you’ll make day-to-day tradeoffs to help the team ship with high quality and velocity.
- Run growth experiments - You’ll design and implement a/b tests to improve conversion and drive profitable growth, in partnership with Growth, Machine Learning, and Analytics.
- Own business outcomes - You’ll be a core member of the Home Lending leadership team, responsible for conversion and volume metrics that drive the business.
- 5+ years of Product Management experience. You’re an expert in your craft.
- Shipped consumer software. You’ve delivered many products or features that delighted the customer and grown the business.
- Strong customer empathy and product sense. You know your customer better than anyone. You’ve designed intuitive, delightful experiences to solve their problem.
- Rigorous and analytical problem solving. You bring structure and order to ambiguous problems. You pull your own data and to make product and prioritization decisions. You weigh tradeoffs quantitatively.
- Strategic. You understand the key components that drive your product and business. You have a clear framework for how to improve them. You’ve developed long-term product roadmaps for engineering teams.
- Ownership and growth mindset. You act like an owner. You’re often right, but humble and open minded about being wrong. You’re perpetually dissatisfied and striving to improve yourself and the team.
- Experience with machine learning models
- Experience in fintech, lending, mortgage, or real estate
- Experience with advanced experimentation on pricing, revenue science, or conversion
What you’ll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.