Engineering Manager, Quality Engineering and Tools
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Upstart’s Quality Engineering and Tooling Team within the Engineering org is responsible for ensuring code is shipped with the highest quality to production while allowing engineering teams to move fast and deliver great features for our customers. We believe that Quality is embedded within all the phases of software development and are looking for people passionate about building tools and defining processes that enable hundreds of engineers to write great quality code that is easy to maintain. If you are someone who thrives on metrics, values high quality code, and is passionate about building scalable tooling that enables engineers to improve the quality of our entire engineering ecosystem, then this position may be right for you!
As the Engineering Manager of Quality Engineering and Tooling at Upstart, you will manage a team of skilled engineers with solid experience in quality and productivity. In this role, you will play a pivotal part in improving development efficiency across all our products and services.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote, San Mateo, Columbus, Austin
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates on the East/West Coast time zones.
Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur 3 days per Month/Quarter at the Upstart office. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Collaborate with your team to deliver a test platform tailored for a microservices architecture in alignment with our strategic vision.
- Foster collaboration with Engineering Managers across the organization to create close feedback loops as the team releases new tools and frameworks.
- Evangelize the use of quality and productivity metrics across the cross-functional teams and foster a culture of engineering quality.
- Motivate the team, create opportunities for professional growth, and engage in career development conversations.
- Drive enhancements in test automation across all products and services by partnering with other engineering leaders
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum requirements:
- A minimum of 5+ years of experience in software engineering management, including the management of geographically distributed teams
- Over 10 years of industry experience in designing and building engineering tools and frameworks that test software at scale and deliver measurable improvements in code quality for cloud-based solutions
- A proven track record of deploying high quality software to production in both monolith and microservices environments
- Experience with at least one cloud technologies such as - AWS, Azure, GCP
- Ability to create proof of concepts to validate the technical approaches, and stay one step ahead of the team
- Proficiency with one or more popular object oriented languages (Java, Python, C#, etc.)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Preferred qualifications:
- Experience managing engineering teams to identify and implement metrics to measure Product/Code quality and Developer Productivity
- Familiarity with CICD systems and deployment process automation
- Proficiency with Kotlin, Python, and Ruby
- Solid knowledge of AWS fundamentals
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.