Principal Product Manager
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Upstart’s Automotive Retail is reinventing the way customers buy and finance their cars. This is a large and complex opportunity - $780 billion of automotive loans are originated in the U.S. annually, and mostly by legacy 'non-tech' lenders. Upstart is uniquely positioned to reinvent this industry by leveraging its Machine Learning prowess and access to automotive dealerships and capital, and by improving the end-to-end customer experience. The Auto Retail Financing team drives a two-sided marketplace product. On the Demand side, we improve the conversion funnel for the dealership- and borrower-facing B2B2C product, and scale it to more dealerships. On the Supply side, we onboard external sources of capital and build tools to help capital providers achieve their investment goals. In addition, we work with cross-functional stakeholders to increase automation, ML accuracy and optimize the automotive lending unit economic model. The day to day of building and scaling this complex yet interesting product feels like being at an early stage startup but inside a large stable company.
As a Principal Product Manager, you will be responsible for driving the product strategy and execution for the next-generation dealership and borrower facing experiences that leverage AI/ML techniques, as well as strengthen the end-to-end borrower experience to improve ML modeling accuracy. The ideal candidate is a seasoned product leader with a track record of launching and scaling complex customer facing products. They should be highly analytical and customer-focused with excellent written and verbal communication skills, and a structured approach at attacking complex product problems. This high-visibility role will give you an opportunity to create a meaningful and measurable impact on Upstart's growth, while contributing to our mission.
- Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote, San Mateo, CA, and Columbus, OH.
- Time Zone Requirements - This team operates in all US time zones.
- Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur 2-3 days per quarter at our San Mateo or Columbus office. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact
The ideal candidate will be entrepreneurial, self-sufficient, and strong in many of the following areas:
- Lead product definition – Own and drive the customer working backwards strategy, tenets, long-term goals and define product features and services that deliver bar-raising customer experiences.
- Drive product creation – Work with product, engineering, design, and research teams to build and iterate upon your product. Partner with teams in other organizations to ensure support and visibility of your and the broader team’s plans. Manage trade-offs effectively. Earn trust across a range of stakeholders and partners.
- Create and drive business strategy – Define how we measure success. Own reporting on KPIs, recommendations that use data to optimize them, and execution of those optimizations.
- Create mechanisms to scale – Drive mechanisms to optimize the team’s efficiency and alignment.
- Conduct data analyses, research gaps in business reporting and continuously improve the quality of metrics related to the product.
- Project management, including working with stakeholders to capture business and functional requirements, creating business justifications for product features and services, tracking and reporting.
- Own executive reviews – Present business and product vision, progress, and dependencies to executive stakeholders in multiple teams. Also contribute to broader team and organizational planning documents, including owning and driving them for your area of the business and product.
- Lead the product go-to-market process, user testing, defining and managing program metrics.
- 7-10 years of product management experience at a computationally heavy growth-stage or Big Tech company.
- Experience and interest in driving B2B product roadmaps.
- BA/BS in Economics, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience bringing a new product from concept to launch to scale.
- Passion and aptitude for credit and financing-related economic concepts.
- MBA or Master's degree in Math, Engineering or Sciences.
- Experience in conducting customer interviews in the field.
- Experience in lending and/or auto industry.
What you’ll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.