Software Engineer, Personal Loans
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters live and work anywhere in the United States. However, we also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Personal Loans make up the majority of the total loan volume at Upstart. As the team that owns the full stack, user-facing experience for our personal loan borrowers, from loan application to origination, the work we do has an outsized impact on the success of the company. We are charged with continuing to grow loan volume through a mix of fast-paced A/B testing and longer-term improvements.
As a software engineer on the Personal Loans team, you will work as a product engineer on Upstart’s largest business line. You will lead projects to make impactful work happen. You will contribute to all phases of the development cycle from ideation and design through implementation and post-launch operation. We welcome engineers who can pitch their own product ideas and who have strong opinions on how to run a product engineering team. You will work closely with product managers and designers to discover the best possible project ideas.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote (US), San Mateo, Columbus
Travel Requirements - This team has regular onsite collaboration sessions. These occur roughly once per quarter (~3 days at a time) in one of our main offices (Columbus, OH or San Mateo, CA). If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Identify, pitch, and deliver ways to increase the rate that applicants accept their offers.
- Make the customer-facing application a flexible platform for other teams to add and grow new loan products.
- Ship to production every day: our well-tested codebase and modern stack makes development easy and safe.
- Work in a high trust team to see the difference your personal work has on the business.
- Go beyond traditional role boundaries: collaborate directly with designers and product managers to solve business problems.
- Grow to be responsible for parts of the production operations and product development in a supportive team setting.
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum requirements:
- 4+ years of professional experience as a full-stack engineer
- A record of shipped product engineering projects, in a team of at least 5 people
- Proficient in either TypeScript or Ruby
- Preferred qualifications:
- Knowledge of React with Typescript, Ruby on Rails and Kotlin
- Background with FinTech products at scale
- Evidence of a strong trajectory of professional growth
- Skill in current software development practices including continuous delivery and observability
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing an application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please email email@example.com