Ready to change the world?
This is a 6 month contract role with the possibility to extend.
We are reinventing how products are delivered around the world by unlocking the path not yet traveled. Our company was founded in 2015 and is backed by Silicon Valley’s most prominent VCs, including YCombinator, Lightspeed Venture Partners, and Icon Ventures. Volansi provides fast on-demand aerial delivery service for time-critical shipments over long ranges. We build and operate long-range, high-payload drones for commercial, defense, and humanitarian applications. Leveraging drone technology as a transportation method, we help our customers gain control of their supply chain and save millions of dollars on downtime and inventory costs. Our work came from the immediate need for critical delivery of parts to drastically reduce downtime for an automotive company. From this idea, our founders have scaled the company into a team of highly skilled and motivated individuals to serve critical delivery markets.
Volansi is seeking a talented Electrical Engineer with a passion for robotics and aviation to join its growing engineering team developing autonomous aircraft. This engineer will work closely with electrical, robotics, software, and other cross functional teams and contribute towards the design of circuit boards used throughout the aircraft and sub-systems. This is a hands-on position. Engineers are responsible for driving their projects through from concept design to delivery and support of hardware. Optimizing designs for reliability, weight, and efficiency will be a focus.
What you will do:
- Define requirements for a new design and develop a requirements specification document
- Perform preliminary design including block diagrams, trade off studies, and design reviews
- Designing or reviewing schematics, design analysis, breadboard tests, PCB assemblies
- Minimizing package volume and mass while maximizing reliability with DFM/A in mind
- Assist the senior team members in design, layout and documentation
- Collaborate with mechanical engineers to optimize placement of electrics within aircraft or supporting equipment
- Design and conduct component level, product level through test
- Validate and Verify all new design and existing electrical hardware; deliverable test requirements and documentation
- B.S. in electrical engineering or related discipline
- 2+ years of working experience in relevant industry
- Experience with Altium Designer or equivalent schematic/layout tools
- Experience with digital hardware design (Micro-controllers and communication protocols such as SPI, Ethernet, RS485 etc)
- Experience with cable and wire harness design including rugged connectors, power devices, etc.
- Experience with communicating with and driving suppliers
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, and demanding start-up atmosphere
- M.S. / Ph.D. in relevant discipline with a focus in power electronics
- Experience with component selection
- Completed (designed/built/tested) high voltage/high power designs
- Experience with challenging thermal, mechanical, and environmental constraints
- Experience in hybrid-electric design and aircraft power systems
- Exposure to regulatory certification
- Experience design-for-reliability, including use of DFMEA and fault trees
- Experience with battery systems
- Comprehensive health benefits for you and your dependent(s)
- Opportunities for internal career growth
- Healthy meals and snacks provided and commuter benefits
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- 401k and stock options